OFFICER SAFETY ... CUSTOMER SERVICE
- The general phone number for KCPD is 234-5000, the non-emergeny number to our Calltakers is 234-5111. If you aren't sure whether your call is an emergency or not, dial 9-1-1 just to be safe. All 9-1-1 calls are answered before the 234-5111 calls.
- To learn about the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department Communications Unit (click here)
- Do you need city services (like Public Works, Water Department, Animal Health, etc.)? The City Manager's Action Center can be reached by dialing 3-1-1 or 816/513-1313.
- Do you need help in regards to a personal crisis (where police, fire, or paramedics are not the appropriate help)? The United Way operates a nationwide crisis hotline that can be reached by dialing 2-1-1
- If you are interested click here for some statistics on our recent activity.
- Are you interested in a career in the Communications Unit? We are always accepting applications for Calltaker. Contact our Human Resources Unit at 816/234-5400. The job description and current pay range for Calltakers can be veiwed by clicking here.
What happens when you dial 9-1-1?
- If you call 9-1-1 in Kansas City, Missouri several things happen between dialing the phone and getting the help you need. The first step is common to all 9-1-1 systems, the others may vary from PSAP to PSAP. Read the steps below, click on the highlighted links to view. Locally the Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) administers the 9-1-1 system. If you are interested in checking out MARC you can visit them at www.marc.org .
- When you dial 9-1-1, you are connected a little differently based on whether you are on a land-line or cellular phone .
- After the phone company connects you to our PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point, the Communications Unit of KCPD) your call enters the ACD .
- If you are listening to the recording PLEASE DON"T HANG UP. If you hang up while in the ACD you become an "Abandoned Call" . If you need 9-1-1 this will slow us down trying to help you. If you are only trying to make another call we will be calling you back, possibly interrupting your call, and possibly sending the police out to see if you are OK.
- When the Calltaker answers, if you didn't really need 9-1-1 just say, "Sorry, wrong number" like you would for any call.
- When the Calltaker begins to get your information, what happens if you don't need to speak to the police Calltaker in Kansas City, Missouri?
- And, finally, what happens if you do need the police Calltaker for Kansas City, Missouri?
- If you have any additional questions about 9-1-1, click here, 9-1-1 Fact vs Myth may have the answers you need.
Communications Unit, KCPD, 1111 S. Locust Street, Kansas City, Missouri, 64106