JOB DESCRIPTION: CALLTAKER
TITLE: Calltaker (Communications Specialist II)
PAY RANGE: $2451 to $4341 per month
Job Objectives: (Purpose of the position)
Calltakers are responsible for receiving the calls routed to the Kansas City, Missouri PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) and correctly processing them.
Essential Job Functions: (Functions essential to attaining job objectives)
1.) Receives incoming calls and determines by policy, officer safety, and customer service considerations the appropriate service to provide.
2.) Performs data entry in the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) system in order to maintain an accurate record of the activities being performed and the services being provided.
3.) Performs data searches in the CAD, ALERT, and related systems in order to obtain such information as previous call activity, warrant data, ALERT history, driving records, and vehicle registration.
4.) Assists in training new calltakers.
5.) Notifies the supervisor of pertinent information.
6.) Performs other, related duties, as required.
Job Standards: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions)
To successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the incumbent must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. A general knowledge of area geography is preferred. The incumbent must also have successfully completed pre-employment processing by Human Resources and the Communications Unit.
The position requires the use of the telephone and computer systems at a stationary console. The incumbent will be required to type information into the computer while gathering and disseminating the information over the telephone or to other personnel in the unit.
Job Location: (Place where work is performed)
The position operates in a standard office environment 100% of the time.
Equipment: (Machines, devices, tools, etc, used in job performance)
• PC based computer(s) for CAD and ancillary functions (such as alarms or surveillance systems).
• Standard Telephones and 9-1-1 Telephone systems (including TDD or TDY equipment).
• Direct Alarm Monitoring Systems
• Standard Office equipment (copiers, fax machines, etc)
Unit Specific Duties:
• Maintains a professional demeanor during both routine and emergency situations.
• Remains cognizant of policy, officer safety, and customer service issues.
• Promptly transfers requests for MAST, KCFD, or outside agencies to MAST, KCFD or the correct outside agency.
• Demonstrates proficiency in the operation of the 9-1-1 telephone console.
• Accurately accounts for each call received by maintaining the appropriate CAD record.
• Demonstrates knowledge of geography sufficient to assign calls to the appropriate patrol division or to transfer to the appropriate outside agency.
• Demonstrates the ability to correlate related calls or information while documenting and/or passing that information on appropriately.
• Speaks clearly, distinctly and methodically during all interrogations, whether routine or emergency situations.
• Communicates effectively with highly emotional or emotionally disturbed callers.
• Prioritizes and handles tasks simultaneously or in quick and logically succession as required during both routine and emergency situations.
• Orders support services quickly and efficiently both as individuals and in support of co-workers.
• Accurately enters ALERT and CAD inquiries and documents the results as necessary.
• Demonstrates proficiency with all unit equipment (computer, phones, alarm systems, etc)
• Works overtime as required by the unit’s mandatory overtime policy.
• Works as a telephone operator as required by staffing.
Duties Specific to Communications Training Officers or Trainees:
• CTO’s will conduct training and complete daily observation reports in accordance with unit training policy.
• Trainees will accept instruction in accordance with unit training policy.