FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Feb. 5, 2009
Health Department to conduct special HIV testing clinics and events
The City of Kansas City, Mo., Health Department will have special HIV testing clinics and events throughout the month of February to increase awareness of HIV and AIDS and encourage safe behavior. The following events have been scheduled:
- Feb. 6, free confidential HIV testing from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Health Department atrium in recognition of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- Feb. 10, distribution of educational information and condoms from 1:30-2:30 p.m. at Penn Valley Community College
- Feb. 11, distribution of educational information and condoms from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Blue River Community College
- Feb. 12, distribution of educational information and condoms from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Feb. 13, distribution of educational information and condoms from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Longview Community College
- Feb. 20, free, confidential HIV testing from 6-8 p.m. at the “Africa Dream…” art exhibit at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Free testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases is routinely available at the Health Department Monday through Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the STD clinic. Appointments are preferred and will shorten your wait time, but walk-ins are allowed. To schedule an appointment, call (816) 513-6379.
For more information about the special clinic and events, call the HIV Prevention and Ryan White Planning Council Support program, (816) 513-6132.
Media inquiries about this issue should be directed to Jeff Hershberger, Health Department, (816) 840-2548 (pager).