News from the Water Services Department
City Communications Office
City of Kansas City, Mo.
CONTACT: Mary Charles, city communications officer, (816) 513-1356
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEAE: Oct. 16, 2009
City warns water customers about fraudulent calls
In light of recent activities involving fraudulent phone solicitation of City of Kansas City, Mo., Water Service Department customers, the department is reminding their customers that:
- If the City contacts you, the caller ID will never be blocked
- Customers can call 3-1-1 anytime to verify any solicitation regarding City water services
- Waiving of fees or "special deals" are never offered
- City employees always wear ID badges and will give you the name and number of their supervisor when asked
- Customers should call 3-1-1 (or 9-1-1 if in an emergency situation) to report concerns
- Customers should never give, to anyone who initiates contact with you, your credit card number, bank account number, date of birth, social security number or water account number
- Customers should not send cash, check or money order by messenger or overnight mail, when asked to by a telephone seller or caller you do not know
- Customers should never provide personal information over the phone, through the mail or over the Internet, unless you initiated the transaction and you know the person or institution receiving the information
Anyone who receives a phone call or e-mail as described above should consider it to be a fraudulent attempt to obtain personal account data for an illegal purpose. You should not follow any instructions in such a phone call or email.
For more information, contact Colleen Doctorian, public information officer for the Water Services Department at (816) 513-0232.