FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Sept 9, 2003
CONTACT: Don Pickard, Health Department, (816) 840-2548
Heat determined a factor in Kansas City resident’s death
The Health Department announced today that a Kansas City area man’s death in July was attributed, in part, to the heat.
The 53-year-old Clay County resident was working outside July 26, when he collapsed. The temperature at the time was in excess of 100 degrees. The victim, who had no known medical problems, was drinking water and Gatorade to stay hydrated while working. At approximately 5 p.m., he collapsed. Paramedics responded but were unable to revive him. The victim was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at an area hospital.
The Jackson County medical examiner recently determined that the victim suffered from undiagnosed cardiovascular problems and that he became overheated and dehydrated while working outdoors in the extreme heat. The victim had last seen his medial doctor about four years ago.
The Health Department encourages everyone to have an annual check-up by a medical doctor.