FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Aug. 4, 2009
City participates in sales tax holiday
From Aug. 7-9, shoppers can take advantage of a three-day holiday from City of Kansas City, Mo., State of Missouri, Cass County, Clay County, Jackson County and Platte County sales taxes when they purchase certain items of clothing, shoes, school supplies and computers in Kansas City stores.
For only these three days, the sales tax rate will be zero in Kansas City, Mo., for the specified items. To help reduce costs for families getting ready for the new school year, the following retail purchases will be exempt from respective sales taxes during the 2009 Back to School Sales Tax Holiday:
- Articles of clothing, shoes and cloth or other materials used to make school uniforms or other school clothing with taxable value of $100 or less
- School supplies with taxable value of $50 or less per item. School supplies include any item normally used by students in a standard classroom for educational purposes, including but not limited to, textbooks, notebooks, paper, writing instruments, crayons, art supplies, rulers, book bags, backpacks, handheld calculators, chalk, maps and globes
- Laptop, desktop or tower computer systems (or their component parts) designed for use as personal computers with taxable value of $3,500 or less
- Computer software items with taxable value of $350 or less.
- Computer peripheral devices not to exceed $3,500.
There are some items that may be considered by some to be clothing, personal computers or school supplies that will not be exempt from the previously mentioned sales taxes during the three-day sales tax holiday. These items include watches, watchbands, jewelry, handbags, handkerchiefs, umbrellas, scarves, ties, headbands, belt buckles, radios, CD players, headphones, sporting equipment, portable or desktop phones, copiers or other office equipment. Additional items exempt from the tax holiday are furniture and fixtures for homes, apartments, dorms or other residences.
For more information about the Back to School Sales Tax Holiday, visit http://www.dor.mo.gov/tax/business/sales/taxholiday/.