City of Kansas City
Home Services Residents Business Visitors CityOfficials
I Want To...
City Departments


City to increase enforcement of bulky collection pick-up rules

The City of Kansas City, Mo., Public Works Department is notifying residents that in the interest of improving service for all residents, it has increased the enforcement of rules associated with the Bulky Item Collection Program. Residents placing non-bulky items at the curb will receive notification that their items do not qualify for collection. Non-bulky items will be left at the curb. If non-bulky items are placed in a pile with bulky items, all items are likely to be left at the curb. Crews will not separate the material for collection.

An item qualifies as bulky if it is too large for regular trash service. Typical bulky items are refrigerators, stoves, freezers, dishwashers, dryers, sofas, chairs, desks, tables, doors and carpet.

The City does not consider an item to be bulky if it can be accommodated by regular trash service. Non-qualifying items are bags of trash, boxes of trash and remodeling debris. Such items should be placed in a trash bag for regular trash collection and weigh less than 40 pounds.

The City advises residents with debris resulting from remodeling and construction projects too large to be accommodated by regular trash service to inquire with private solid waste companies.

The rules for the Bulky Item Collection Program have been in place for many years and are observed by many residents. The decision to increase enforcement is due to a significant increase in the number of non-bulky items placed curbside. This increase has resulted in a significant delay and added expense to the program.

For a complete listing of the City’s rules regarding bulky item collection or for more information about regular trash, recycling and solid waste collection, visit or call the 3-1-1 Action Center, a division of the City Manager's Office, (816) 513-1313 or 311.

Media inquiries about trash, recycling and solid waste services should be directed to Dennis Gagnon, public information officer for the Public Works Department, (816) 513-2659.

News Archives

Contact Us |  Sitemap  | Legal Notice  | Privacy ©2013 City of Kansas City, Missouri. All Rights Reserved
  French  German  Italian  Portuguese  Spanish  Russian  Dutch  Greek  Japanese  Korean  Chinese  Taiwanese  Swahili