City of Kansas City
Home Services Residents Business Visitors CityOfficials
I Want To...
City Departments

Helpful information concerning the ice storm recovery

How to report traffic accidents
Accidents occurring in the Kansas City, Mo., City limits should be reported at the earliest possible time after the accident, provided no alcohol is involved, all vehicles are drivable, and no occupants are injured. Citizens should exchange vehicle, driver and insurance information. To report the accident, one person with all the information should respond to one of the locations listed below.

    Police Headquarters, 1125 Locust St., (816) 234-5000
    Central Patrol Division, 1200 E. Linwood Boulevard, (816) 234-5510
    Metro Patrol Division, 1880 E. 63rd St., (816) 234-5520
    East Patrol Division, 5301 E. 27th St., (816) 234-5530
    North Patrol Division, 1001 N.W. Barry Road, (816) 234-5540
    South Patrol Division, 11109 Hickman Mills Drive, (816) 234-5550

Please do not call 911 regarding these accidents. Use 911 only to report emergencies.

Fires, falls and carbon monoxide present great threats

Fires are an increasing risk now. Electrical fires are still a concern, especially as power is restored and damaged lines into homes and buildings again become potential sources for ignition, as are fire and flame in the home. Avoid using candles or open flames as light sources, and avoid using open flames for heating. These can cause both fires and carbon monoxide problems. If you must use candles for light, use them very sparingly and never leave a burning candle unattended. Be certain that you have working smoke detectors in your home. One person has already been hospitalized for injuries received from a candle-related fire.


There is a danger of slipping and falling on the ice and there is also a danger of falling lines and limbs, and icicles and ice chunks falling as things begin to thaw. It is not wise to attempt to clear debris from your yard until things have stabilized. Avoid being beneath trees, power lines, or areas of heavy ice accumulation. And as always, exercise extreme caution walking or driving as ice is not always easily visible until it’s too late. Kansas City emergency medical providers report nearly four times the usual number of falls in the past 24 hours.

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and lethal. It is present whenever combustion takes place. Gas burners, kerosene, charcoal grills, or other flame sources produce carbon monoxide which accumulates in your home and in your body, becoming increasing dangerous over time. Before you are fully aware of your symptoms, you may have accumulated levels that can cause serious and lasting problems.

More than a dozen cases of carbon monoxide poisoning -- well above ordinary levels seen -- have been treated at area hospitals in the past 24 hours and one confirmed death has been reported from a generator operating in a garage. Several of the patients treated were reported to have had blood levels of carbon monoxide at or above those that can lead to complications. Do not use unventilated flame sources for heat. If using gasoline generators for power, do not place them in basements, garages, or even close to windows or other openings outdoors, where exhaust can enter your home. A carbon monoxide detector is always a good addition to your home safety plan.

Since those who most need to hear these warnings are without power and may not receive them through media reports, please contact people you know without power and pass along these warnings.

Kansas City, Mo., storm debris drop-off locations
The City’s two existing drop-off sites, at 4707 Deramus and Interstate 470 and Raytown Road, will be open Saturday, Feb. 2 and Sunday, Feb. 3, from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. Beginning Monday, Feb. 4, these two sites will be open seven days per week from noon until 6 p.m. On Tuesday, the City will announce two additional sites. One site will be north of the river and one will be south of the river.

Curbside Collection Information

Residents should place tree limbs at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on Feb. 19.
Tree limbs should not exceed 12 feet in length.
The City will make one pass by each residence.

Trash Collection

Friday trash collection should be completed by Saturday.

Bulky Item Pickup

In Bulky Item zones #29, #30 and #1 residents have already placed items out for collection.
Collection in these zones will be the week of Feb. 4. Bulky item collection will not occur during the rest of February or all of March. The City will notify the public when collection resumes.

Check on your neighbors and friends

Those who have lost power have also lost contact through television and radio. Call (most telephones still work), drop by, or ask someone geographically close to the person you are trying to reach to do so for you. Make certain that people you know who may be in need are contacted.

The American Red Cross will be helping those in need of shelter to locate a shelter that meets their needs. For more information, call American Red Cross at (816) 931-8400.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is created when fuel burns. Any heating system or appliance that burns gas, oil, wood, propane or kerosene is a potential source of carbon monoxide.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, loss of hearing, blurry vision, weakness, and nausea.

Carbon monoxide prevents oxygen from being used in the body. It is poisonous and can cause harm to the central nervous system.

Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Individuals with existing health problems such as heart disease and lung disease are especially vulnerable. The elderly, infants, children and pregnant women are also at high risk.

Exposure can be reduced by: having furnaces and fireplaces inspected for cracks, gaps, rust, corrosion or debris; having gas appliances serviced yearly; using non-electrical space heaters ONLY in well-ventilated areas; by never starting or leaving vehicles running in enclosed areas; never operating outdoor grills indoors; and never using stoves or ovens to heat residences.

Additional information about carbon monoxide poisoning can be found on these Web sites:

Citizens call also call the Kansas City, Mo., Health Department’s Community Environmental Health Program at (816) 513-6313.

Emergency Contact Numbers

American Red Cross Shelter Hotline, (816) 931-8400
Ice Line, (816) 513-1ICE (1423)
Downed Power Lines, (888) LIGHTKC
Independence P & L, (816) 325-7550
MO Public Service, (800) 303-0752
Downed Trees/Street Tree Removal, (816) 513-9550
Snow Command Desk, (816) 513-9364, and (816) 513-9365
Time Warner Cable, (816) 358-5444, and (816) 743-2468
Missouri Attorney General’s Office, (800) 392-8222
(To report unscrupulous contractors)

News Archives

Contact Us |  Sitemap  | Legal Notice  | Privacy ©2013 City of Kansas City, Missouri. All Rights Reserved
  French  German  Italian  Portuguese  Spanish  Russian  Dutch  Greek  Japanese  Korean  Chinese  Taiwanese  Swahili