News from City Hall
City Communications Office
City of Kansas City, Mo.
CONTACT: Mary Charles, city communications officer, (816) 513-1356
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Jan. 27, 2010
McGaskey selected for Hospitality Leadership Award
Oscar McGaskey Jr., executive director of the City of Kansas City, Mo., Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department, has been selected to receive the 2010 Hospitality Leadership Award presented by the Hotel and Lodging Association of Greater Kansas City.
The award is given annually to honor a distinguished member of the local community for his or her contribution to Kansas City and the hospitality industry over a period of several years. Recipients are selected for achievements in promoting Kansas City as a destination, bringing in new business activity or developing a tourist attraction.
As executive director of the City’s Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department, McGaskey’s achievements include:
• Overseeing a $150 million expansion and technology upgrade of the Kansas City Convention Center, which now features one of the 10 largest convention center ballrooms in the country.
• Receiving the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver Certification for the Bartle Hall Grand Ballroom Project by incorporating green solutions including skylights, large glass walls with overhangs, sunscreens and operable interior shades to maximize natural daylight in the space.
• Implementing a booking and scheduling policy which clearly defines the City’s booking policies.
• Maintaining a 92 percent customer service satisfaction rating based on customer service post event surveys.
• Implementing a comprehensive strategic plan for the Department of Convention and Entertainment Facilities.
• Revising the booking and scheduling policy to effectively manage events and avoid conflicts.
• Receiving Prime Site Awards for 2008 and 2009 for the Kansas City Convention Center from Facilities and Destinations magazine in New York.
• Maximizing use of event and entertainment space to increase revenues.
• Achieving a budget surplus in fiscal years 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10.
• Providing effective management and coordination of events from planning to execution.
McGaskey will be honored at the Hotel and Lodging Association’s 22nd Annual Recognition Dinner and Hospitality Awards Presentation on Feb. 26 at the Argosy Casino Hotel in Riverside.
Past Hospitality Leadership Award winners include Lamar Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs; Crosby Kemper, UMB Bank; Missouri Congressman Emanuel Cleaver, former Kansas City mayor; Joan Israelite, Arts Council of Metropolitan Kansas City; Neil Patterson, Cerner Corporation; and Kevin Grey, Kansas City Sports Commission.
For more information about this topic, contact Janet O’Hagan, sales and marketing manager, Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department, (816) 513-5015.