Utility service lines for water, electricity, natural gas, etc. are buried under many City streets. As there are times when cutting into a street is required to maintain a utility service line, the City of Kansas City, Mo. Public Works Department administers street plate bridging standards to facilitate this process.
The street plate bridging standards are based upon, but not limited to, the following principles:
- Minimize the time street plate bridging is placed upon driving surfaces.
- Maintain and preserve the riding quality of the street surfaces.
- Maintain safety for pedestrians.
- Increase the longevity of street surfaces.
To assure street plate bridging standards are being met, Public Works inspectors routinely check the status of plate activity and compile the information into a report.
In order to install a street plate on a City street, utility companies pull permits from the Public Works Department.
A Street Plate Report
can easily be accessed through the button bellow. After clicking on the button below, click "submit query." By leaving all fields blank, you will have a report of all street plate activity citywide.
The City of Kansas City, Mo. Municipal Code
contains a complete listing of regulations for the use of metal street plates in the City. The information below is only a portion of the information on this subject contained in the Municipal Code
. For a complete understanding of street plate regulations, a review of the Municipal Code
it is recommended.
Sec. 64-423. - Regulated activities.
(a) Except as provided in section 64-424, no person shall:
1. Place street plate bridging without first applying for and obtaining a street plate bridging permit from the director;
2. Allow street plate bridging to remain in place in excess of 30 calendar days;
3. Place (or allow to remain in place) street plate bridging on concrete streets and roadways during the winter months.
(b) Street plates shall be embedded as follows:
1. During the winter months, street plate bridging shall be embedded as of the date it is first placed on the street or roadway and shall remain embedded until such time as the work is complete and the street plate bridging has been removed. The requirement to embed shall not apply to street plate bridging placed on concrete streets and roadways if the director determines that an emergency exists sufficient to justify its placement during the winter months.
2. During those portions of the calendar year not encompassed by the winter months, street plate bridging shall be embedded as of the twenty-second calendar day from and including the date on which the permit was issued and shall remain embedded until such time as the work is complete and the street plate bridging has been removed. The requirement to embed shall not apply to street plate bridging placed on concrete streets and roadways.
3. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing provisions of this subsection, the requirement to embed street plate bridging until such time as the work is complete and the street plate bridging is removed shall not be construed as modifying or waiving the 30 calendar day period that street plate bridging may remain in place.
(c) The street plate shall be conspicuously marked with the owner’s name and telephone number.
(d) No permit issued under this article shall be assignable, and no person shall allow his name to be used to obtain a permit for any other person.
(Ord. No. 050591, § 1, 9-1-05; Ord. No. 080188, § 4, 6-19-08)
Sec. 64-424. - Exceptions.
(a) If an emergency exists, a person may place street plate bridging within any street or roadway under the control of city without first applying for and obtaining a permit. A permit is still required, however, and shall be applied for the next regular business day after the street plate bridging is placed.
(b) If an emergency exists, the director may permit street plate bridging to remain in place in excess of the time limitations established by this article or waive the prohibition on the placement of street plate bridging on concrete streets and roadways during the winter months.
(c) No permit shall be required if the street or roadway where the street plate bridging will be placed is closed to local and through traffic.
(Ord. No. 050591, § 1, 9-1-05; Ord. No. 080188, § 5, 6-19-08)
For a complete understanding of regulations related to metal street plates in Kansas City, Mo., a review of the Municipal Code