|Safety Tips for Adopt-a-Street Participants
Advised safety tips:
- Wear light colored clothing and a safety vest.
- Face oncoming traffic.
- Keep vehicles parked legally and to a minimum.
- A minimum of one adult supervisor for every four children. Keep children in sight at all times.
- Do not remove hazardous substances. If in doubt, contact City personnel.
- Stay well clear of construction projects.
- Do not remove large or heavy items, appliances, furniture, etc. Call City personnel to arrange for pickup.
Recommended safety tips:
- Stop work in inclement weather.
- Be alert for stray and/or wild animals.
- Be alert for obstacles, holes, displaced sidewalks, etc.
- Avoid overexertion.
- Provide water or other refreshments for the workers.
- Wear a hat, long sleeves and gloves.
- Avoid contact with noxious weeds.
- Be careful when using a litter pickup stick. We recommend that leather boots or shoes be worn during its use.
In case of emergency
- Have a first aid kit readily available.
- Have transportation readily available.
- Designate a safety officer for the crew.