|Bulky Item Collection Program
Residents of the City of Kansas City, Mo., now have the option of using the City's no-charge Bulky Item Collection Appointment System, or for a fee, can access additional bulky collection options that provide greater flexiblility.
Fee Based Bulky Services
(from Town and Country Disposal)
The City has negotiated reasonable rates for residents to use Bulky Express, a new service that provides residents greater flexibility for bulky collection. In addition to Bulky Express, residents can also make arrangements for the rental of dumpster-like boxes for the disposal of material from home do-it-yourself projects. To utilize these services or to learn more, contact Town and Country Disposal by calling 816-380-5595 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or visit Bulky Express online.
NO-CHARGE BULKY APPOINTMENTS
(from the City's Solid Waste Division)
The City's no-charge appointment-based Bulky Item Collection Program is for disposal of large household items that cannot be handled in the regular weekly trash collection.
View a video of the Bulky Item Collection Program in action.
NO-CHARGE ONLINE APPOINTMENT SCHEDULE SYSTEMMaking an Appointment
The Bulky Item Collection program DOES ACCEPT
- Make an appointment online using the Online Bulky Scheduler
- By phone: Call 311 or 816-513-1313 to schedule an appointment
- Appointments must be made at least 48 hours in advance and are subject to availability
- Collections will not be made without an appointment
- Items must meet guidelines for large item collection
- Download a list of acceptable and unacceptable bulky items
- Refrigerators, freezers and air conditioning units
- Metal appliances such as stoves, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, water heaters and furnaces
- Furniture such as couches, tables, chairs, TV's, beds, mattresses and metal furniture
- Other items such as bathroom fixtures, cabinets, rugs, garage doors, lawn mowers, railroad ties, disassembled swing sets and metal fencing
- Storm windows and glass panes. To help prevent injury, place a large "X" of masking tape across glass panes to prevent shattering and stack them separately from other bulky items.
The Bulky Item Collection program does NOT ACCEPT:
- Trash in bags or boxes*
- Commercial or business trash or waste materials, including trash or waste from businesses conducted in or from a residence
- Piles of stuff, bags or boxes of smaller items
- Loose or scattered materials
- Closed drums or fuel tanks, metal drums must have both ends removed to be collected
- Automobile bodies or gas tanks
- Loose building materials and lumber**
*Trash in bags or boxes will not be accepted in bulky collections. These items must be disposed in the regular weekly trash collection. If a household places more than two bags/boxes at the curb, an Excess Trash Tag needs to be attached to the excess bags or boxes. More information
**As long as specific bundle and bag guidelines are followed, building materials and lumber can be placed curbside for weekly trash collection. The bundle and bag guidelines are as follows: Materials bound in 4'x2' bundles that weigh less than 40 pounds will be accepted. Sheetrock, plaster and loose materials will be accepted in regular trash bags if they weigh less than 40 pounds. Bags and bundles are part of the weekly two-bag limit. Therefore, Excess Trash Tags may be required. More information.
Bulky appointments will be scheduled to correspond with regular trash and recycling collection days.
Residents can also learn of their collection day by contacting the City's 3-1-1 Call Center. To reach the 3-1-1 Call Center, dial 311 or 816-513-1313.
Bulky Item Collection Requirements
- Place items curbside by 7 a.m. on collection day
- Do not place items curbside prior to 3 p.m. the day before a scheduled appointment
- Place items where they are not obstructed by parked cars
- Bulky items beneath tree branches or low hanging wires, in yards or driveways will not be collected
- Different trucks collect different types of bulky items - one for appliances that contain refrigerants, etc.
- Collection is provided for all single family houses and multi-family dwellings with six or less units
If your items were not picked up on collection day, call the City's 3-1-1 Call Center by dialing 311 or 816-513-1313 within 48 hours of the scheduled collection day.
Additional Solid Waste Services