Kansas City's Municipal Rose Garden is the realization of a dream that began in 1931 by a group of women lead by Laura Conyers Smith. They established the Kansas City Rose Society which created the
public rose garden in Loose Park. The first garden contained 120 rose plants. Now there are about 4,000 roses of about 150 varieties in the 1.5 acre garden.
The garden has been maintained through a partnership of the Rose Society and the KC Parks and Recreation Department. The Society furnishes all the rose plants and signs and the Parks Department personnel provide the ongoing care with the help of Volunteer Garden Groomers from the Society. The KCRS has also raised and spent more than $1.3 million on a new fountain and other structural improvements in the garden since 2001.
The circular plan of the garden was the concept of eminent landscape architect, S. Herbert Hare. The garden's pergolas, gifts from individuals and organizations in the early years, bear commemorative plaques.
In 1965, the garden was officially named the Laura Conyers Smith Municipal Rose Garden. In 1989, the garden received a national honor bestowed by the American Rose Society. The All America Rose Selection's Bronze Achievement Award is the highest given by the ARS. A new fountain and walks were completed in 2002--the Year of the Rose.
Donations to the Rose Garden can be given in memory of loved ones or as a gesture of friendship. The Rose Society is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Memory and Friendship Roses can be purchased on the KCRS Website: Kansas City Rose Society
Each year at the height of the rose season, KCRS sponsors Rose Day in the garden and a Rose Show in the Loose Park Garden Center. Spring and Fall rose care demonstrations are held in the Garden Center as well as other educational programs.
Several hundreds couples are married in the Rose Garden each year. Reservations are required. For more information on Weddings in the Rose Garden