Officially opened in April of 2004, Penn Valley Dog Park is the first off-leash dog park operated by the City of Kansas City, Mo., Parks and Recreation Department. The dog park is a 2.7 acre fenced off-leash area with two double-gated entries for safety. There is an additional area for small dogs 40 lbs. and under, eldery or handicapped. The park offers water fountains for people and dogs, as well as a spigot for filling water bottles. The Penn Valley Off-Leash Dog Park is open seven days a week from dawn until one hour after dusk. Please have responsible fun as you (and your dog) enjoy the park.
Dog park rules:
1. Handlers enter off-lease area at their own risk.The City of Kansas City, Mo., Ordinance 14-33(a) requires dogs to be on leashes in public areas for the protection of fellow citizens, as well as for the safety of the dogs. To offer the numerous residents with dogs living in our community an opportunity to enjoy public parks with their dogs off-leash, Kansas City Parks and Recreation supports the development of a few off-leash dog areas to provide safe places for dogs to exercise, play and socialize. These guidelines are written to support constructive discussion and assessment of any potential off-leash area. Download the guidelines.
2. Handlers must clean up after their dogs and dispose of all trash.
3. Dogs may never be left unattended and must be under voice control at all times. There is a maximum of two (2) dogs per adult handler.
4. Owners are responsible legally and financially for the actions of their dogs. Aggressive dogs should not be brought into the area, and any dog must be removed immediately if aggressive behavior is noted.
5. Dogs must be healthy and free of parasites, properly licensed, vaccinated, and not in heat. No puppies under four months old are allowed.
6. Children 8 years and under are not allowed in the off-leash dog area; children ages 9 – 15 must be accompanied by an adult. An adult handler is considered anyone over 16 years of age.
7. Dogs must be leashed when outside of the fenced area. Handler should have the leash in hand when inside of the area.
8. No human food is permitted in the fenced/off-lease area. Handlers using dog treats must assume the risk of safe handling.
9. Prong, choke and spike collars must be removed for safety reasons.
10. Handlers are subject to all applicable city ordinances.
The Dogpark Improvement Group is a volunteer, non-profit organization composed of individuals coming together to raise funds to improve the Penn Valley Dogpark.