The Regulated Industries Division is responsible for inspecting all of the taxicab vehicles, livery vehicles, pedicabs and sightseeing vehicles that are permitted to pick up passengers within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri. This includes more than 500 taxicab vehicles, 200 livery vehicles, two dozen horse-drawn carriages and a small number of pedicab vehicles. Additionally, each driver is interviewed, tested and licensed before being allowed to drive a vehicle-for-hire.
Public Safety and Background Checks
The public safety of all citizens who reside in or visit the Kansas City, Missouri is very important to us; therefore Regulated Industries conducts background checks on everyone who applies for a driver's certificate for the purpose of operating a vehicle-for-hire within the city limits. A driver's certificate will not be issued to anyone who has been convicted or found guilty of:
- first or second degree murder
- first degree arson
- first degree assault
- forcible rape
- forcible sodomy
- first degree robbery
- voluntary manslaughter
- first degree assault of a law enforcement officer
- first or second degree child molestation
- sexual misconduct involving a child
- first, second, or third degree sexual misconduct
- sexual abuse, or anyone who is now or has ever been registered as a sexual offender with any state, county or local government.