The Property Maintenance Appeals Board was established by the City to hear appeals from property owners who have been cited for property maintenance code and certain nuisance code violations. The board members, none of whom are City employees, are appointed by the mayor for four-year terms. The Neighborhoods and Housing Services Department has a designated representative who acts as a non-voting secretary for the board.
Citations Eligible for Appeal
The Neighborhood Preservation Division accepts appeal applications on behalf of the Property Maintenance Appeals Board that meet the following conditions:
- The appeal must be for an order, request, decision or determination of the City made in pursuance of:
- Chapter 48, notice of nuisance code violation(s)
- Chapter 56, notice and order to remove property maintenance violation(s)
- or Chapter 14-4, special exception to keeping of livestock
- All appeals must be filed within 10 calendar days from the date of the notice that is being appealed;
- The completed appeal application must include the appellant's phone number and current mailing address;
- A $50 filing fee must accompany every application for an appeal to the board.
Contact the administrative officer for appeals and processes. They can be reached at 816-513-9004, or by email at email@example.com
. General questions may be directed to the Neighborhood Preservation
office's main switchboard at 816-513-9010. After an application for an appeal is accepted (along with an affidavit of representation
, if needed) you will be given written confirmation. The confirmation notice will include the date that the board is scheduled to hear your appeal. Property Maintenance Appeals Board hearings are scheduled for the second Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers on the 26th floor of City Hall, 414 E. 12th St.