The housing codes prosecutor files nuisance, property maintenance, zoning, building, parking, salvage yard, illegal dumping and fire protection cases. These cases are investigated by the Neighborhood and Community Services Department, City Planning and Development Department and Fire Department.
With the exception of illegal dumping, these cases involve the use, maintenance and construction of private property. Individuals may be charged with illegal dumping on private and public property. Housing codes prosecutions are brought under chapters 18, 26, 48, and 52, 54, 56, 62, and 80 of the City of Kansas City, Mo., Municipal Code of Ordinances.
The requirements of these ordinances serve the purpose of protecting the public from conditions that adversely affect its members’ health, safety and general welfare. The potential defendants in these cases are the owners and occupiers of the premises as well as the person doing the illegal act.
Report housing code violations to the 3-1-1 Action Center at 816-513-1313 or 311. Your complaint will be directed to the appropriate department.
- Chapter 48 nuisances including trash, rank weeds, open storage of unapproved items, unlicensed vehicles, disabled vehicles, vehicles parked on the grass and dirt
- Chapter 56 property maintenance violations including exterior surface material not protected against weathering, peeling paint, structures in disrepair, insect and rodent infestation
- Chapter 62 illegal dumping
- Chapter 54 salvage yards without permits
- Chapter 18 building without a permit, unlicensed contractors, ineffective erosion control at construction sites, occupancy of a structure without an occupancy permit
- Chapter 80 land use not permitted in its zoning district and demolition debris landfills without conditional use permits, building set-back requirements not met
- Chapter 26 inoperable smoke detectors, businesses exceeding occupancy loads.
View upcoming housing court dockets