City Hall, 22nd floor • 414 E. 12th St. • Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: 816-513-6511 • Fax: 816-513-1612
Assistant: Reva Simmons • firstname.lastname@example.org • email@example.com
Melba J. Curls is a lifelong resident of Kansas City’s 3rd District where she and her late husband, State Senator Phil B. Curls, raised their four children, Phillip II, Michael, Monica and Louis.
Curls has been employed in the public sector most of her life, having worked for federal, state, and city governments. She has an impressive history of public service which is evidenced by her being elected to the Missouri House of Representatives for four terms. As a State Representative, Curls focused on identifying issues that affected Kansas City and worked with her colleagues to find solutions and positive change for the entire state. She was appointed chairperson of the Committee on Urban Affairs and served as vice-chair of the Ethics Committee (2004-2006).
Curls was first elected to the City Council in 2007. During her first term in office, she served as the Vice Chair of the Housing Committee and Vice Chair of Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. She also served on the Legislative Committee and Public Safety and Neighborhoods. She focused on being responsive to the needs of the 3rd District, including acting as Co-Chair of the 3rd District Neighborhood Meeting held every month to inform the citizens about what was happening at City Hall.
Councilwoman Curls was re-elected to serve her second term as the Third District at-Large City Councilperson in 2011. She plans to continue her involvement with neighborhood leaders, support of small business owners, and reach out to the entire city to make it one of the best in the country.
Mayor Sly James has selected Councilwoman Curls to serve on the following committees:
- Neighborhoods and Healthy Communities – Chairperson
- Transportation and Infrastructure – Member
Councilwoman Curls is a member of a variety of organizations, boards & commissions, including:
- American Jazz Museum – board member
- DeLaSalle Education Center – board member
- Friends of Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center
- International Visitors Council of Greater Kansas City
- Jackson County Board of Domestic Violence Shelters
- Saint Louis Catholic Church
- United Minority Media Association
- Kansas City Missouri School District Superintendent’s Advisory Council
- Economic Development Corporation (EDC)
- Democratic National Committee (DNC)